Nike sells a commodity, they sell shoes. And yet when you think of Nike you feel something different than a shoe company. In their ads, as you know, they don’t ever talk about the product, they don’t ever talk about their air soles, how they’re better than Reebok’s air soles. What’s Nike do in their advertising? They honor great athletes and they honor great athletics. That’s who they are. That is what they are about.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication
Leonardo Da Vinci
Partying harder than a rockstar, from behind a keyboard.
You can apply Akins “Laws of Spacecraft Design” to just about anything. (Ok, maybe #33 doesn’t apply often.)
Nothing changes without change makers
I keep six honest serving-men (They taught me all I knew);
Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.
Being good in business is the most fascinating kind of art. Making money is art and working is art and good business is the best art.
To improve is to change.
To be perfect is to change often.
Sir Winston Churchill
Telling yourself, “Oh, you have all the time in the world, you have all the money in the world, you have all the colors in the palette you want, anything you want,” I mean, that just kills creativity.
Bb — Quote: Ernest Hemingway
The more you explain it, the more I don’t understand it.
Less is more work.
— Patric McCue, Architect
1. Create work for yourself; don’t wait for work to be assigned to you.
2. Take an active role in all your endeavours, not a passive one.
3. Seek out large and complex jobs. Trivial tasks debase you.
4. Welcome difficult assignments. Choose them. Progress lies in accomplishing difficult work.
5. Once you begin a task, complete it. Never give up.
6. Lead your fellow workers. Be an example for them to follow.
7. Set goals for yourself to ensure a constant sense of purpose. This will give you perseverance and hope for the future.
8. Move with confidence. Confidence gives your work force, focus and substance.
9. Find new solutions. This is the way we ensure satisfactory service.
10. When conflict is necessary don’t shy away from it or be afraid. Conflict is the mother of progress and the source of aggressive enterprise. If you fear conflict, you will become timid and servile.
— 10 Spartan Rules to Guide Behavior, Hideo Yoshida, Dentsu’s fourth president and visionary leader, 1951